Ok- I have been having a terrible time getting my kids to be quiet and work. They are the most unmotivated kids I have ever met. I was feeling like a failure because I only have four in this class.
My day is quite entertaining because I go from three 8th graders who are all from Iraq. It is hilarious to hear them all talk in Arabic. They argue so much and they are always competing to be the best. Then I go to two 7th graders who are from El Salvador- one knows no English, but he always has a smile on his face and knows the words "No Mrs. Simpson" - meaning he doesn't want to work. The second student has -100 desire to work. Then the next period is when the two stay and two more kids come in. They are all Spanish speakers. I go from Arabic to Spanish. I don't really like that they have been segregated, but it just so happens that the 7th graders are Spanish and the 8th graders are Arabic.
Anyway I was frustrated with the 7th graders. Over Thanksgiving I had to rethink how I wanted things to go. Here is what I did.....
I bought them all little wooden chests and put their name on it- then I made a list of ways they can get "bucks" (fake dollar bills)
1. coming to class on time and immediately sitting in their seat.
2. Do work without complaining.
3. Finishing work given in class.
4. Participating in group discussion.
Ways that they can lose their "bucks"
1. coming to class late and trying to leave early
2. refusing to do work
3. not completing work on time
4. being disrespectful to the teacher and other students
Then I have ways that they can redeem their bucks-
3 bucks - candy
8 bucks- prize
12 bucks- free 10 minutes at the end of class
14 bucks- free 10pts on an assignment
20 bucks- 1 free day (must be redeemed the day before)
Group effort- 40 bucks - one free day outside to play soccer
or they can take a chance any time they redeem and pick from a box. It might have something good or nothing.
If they get in the negative, then that is when the consequences start (teacher/student conference, teacher calls parent, teacher/parent conference, etc.)
I should have done this from day one- I have had the perfect class all week and it is so neat to see them think about how they want to spend their "money". Of course it is time consuming, but I can get so much done now.
2 comments:
That's really cool. It's amazing how money, real or not, can motivate someone to do what they are suppose to do. Good thinking!
money makes the world go round...so sad...but true! Glad you were able to be creative and get them on the right path!
Post a Comment