Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Traveling With Little Ones- It CAN be done!

I have traveled all of my life. Probably not more than some, but traveling is definitely part of my life. My first flight was when I was 3 years old and half way across the world. Since then, I have flown over half the world, lived in a different country, visited 15 different countries, and been to over 30 states. Needless to say- I travel a lot. I know how to blend into crowds at airports. I know how to get the cheapest deals. I have traveled alone and in groups. I have had so many road trips in my life, I can't even name them all
Road trip Abilene, TX- Hyder, Alaska


I knew that when I had children that I wanted them to experience traveling even if we never live in another country. We do not live near any family, so between visiting family and having our own vacations, our kids travel alot. They have both taken LONG road trips and flown several times. My children are 2 and 4.






Beach trip to South Carolina


Hunter on the way to Georgia a little over a year old
Danica almost 2 months in Charleston, SC

Most recent road trip Stafford, VA to Westcliffe, CO
Sleeping beauty

Mountains (this is why we travel)
Even as much as we travel now, my kids are still not the best travelers. I have had some pretty awful trips and some unexpectedly pleasant trips.

Sometimes I just have to laugh. I have been that mom who's baby is screaming on the airplane and everyone is staring. I have had people turn and give me looks, people offer to help, and people with sympathetic looks. I have had people tell me that my baby needs to be changed and that is why he is screaming. I have had a baby literally scream off and on for over 12 hours on a car ride. We have lost stroller parts that have flown off the car. I have been detained in an airport by myself with a 2 1/2 year old and an infant and almost missed my flight. Our family has had to wait on an airplane because of a potential security threat, then taken off the airplane and not get back on until after midnight (with a 2 year old and an infant) Both of my children have screamed for hours on the plane and they were too young to understand otherwise. Why do I tell you all of this? Well, I have learned a lot in the 4 years since I have had children. Here is my advice...

Colorado Trip (we go every summer)


Flying:

0. What I really want to say/do: I am usually a pretty calm person, but my circumstances and kids have caused me to feel otherwise at times. I really want to be able to go through security without having to take my shoes off, take them out of the carrier/stroller, take out any technology, and take out prepumped breast milk and have it tested. I really want to sit by the window, drink a soda, read a book, and dream of my destination. I really want to tell those that travel by themselves to be thankful and not stare at me. I really want my children to love flying and never scream. I really want to cuss at times or take something to calm me down (a sedative, alchohol, drugs, etc.). I really want to let my child run up and down the airplane isle to get some energy out. I really want their to be good people everywhere. WELL- we can't have what we always want, so here is my advice... :)



1. Layovers- If your child is a screamer and hates the airplane, don't do layovers. It's better for your sanity to know you only have to do it once. If you have to have a layover try to schedule it to stop around a meal time and give yourself enough time to do bathroom breaks and food breaks before you get to the next plane.
If you have ever tried to run to your next flight with a curious, talkative 4 year old- you will give yourself enough time to get to the next flight. :)

2. Screamers- If you have a child that screams- apologize to people or joke with people. People seem to react better when they realize you can't help it and you are trying your best.

3. Nap times during flights- If you nurse- PLEASE NURSE! It is soothing for the child and sometimes the only way to get them to sleep. If you fly with a toddler, try to use up their energy as much as possible before you board, then try not to give them technology until after they take their nap. Pacifiers and nursing will help because of the change in pressure on the airplane. My children only napped on the night flights and they usually we not happy about trying to fall asleep.

4. Boarding- Everyone is different. There are times when I board early because I am by myself, but I would suggest you wait until the very last moment. It is nice to get the kids settled in before everyone starts coming, but now and days you could be sitting on the ground for a very long time! Don't board until you have to. I recently waited until I was one of the last people to get on and it really was better.

5. Snacks/drinks- BRING THEM!!! Snacks cost more money on the plane and you will really wish you had your child's "favorite" snack with you. I am usually one for healthy snacks and if your child likes healthy stuff, great! I really try to bring a variety. I usually start with healthy stuff, but as the kids start getting cranky, I start bringing out whatever will keep them occupied. Unless your child is older, the drinks they give you are very hard to drink, so make sure you bring a bottle (sippy cup, water bottle, etc) for them. On a recent flight I brought lollipops on the plane and it kept the children quite entertained. They had to lick and not bite.

6. Seats- I fly by myself often with the 2 kids, so we try to get all our 3 seats together. I am also a stickler on not paying a lot of money and some flights will make you pay extra to have your seats together. I do not think you need to pay, they should see that you need to all sit together and if you don't, ask someone to switch seats with you and if they don't- well let's just hope there are nicer people in the world. Before my children turned 2, I would usually take the window seat because there is slightly more room, but if you are taking a child that needs to use the bathroom, I would suggest an isle seat so that you can get out easily.

7. Books and other activities- I always bring little books, coloring books, and those mess free activities (Melissa and Doug- paints, reusable stickers, and Crayola mess free coloring books). I also go to the dollar store and get little toys for them. I have had a couple friends that are extra creative and wrap little gifts for trips. Every 30 minutes to an hour, the kids get a new "present".

8. Technology- I know some people do not like to have their child depend on technology, but when you are stuck on an airplane thousands of feet in the air and your child doesn't understand why they can't take the seat belt off or why they can't move- technology is the best!! I usually look up how long the flight will be and then get 2 shows and 1 or 2 movies. I try not to bring it out until we have been flying for about 30 minutes or longer.

9. Be aware of your surroundings- I know you cannot help some things, but a child kicking the seat in front of them is just..well it is just not right! I feel bad for the person in front and they paid the same amount of money that I did. I know they need to understand, but it still isn't fun for them. If your child kicks the seat in front of them, yells or constantly bothering those around, or pulls the tray table up/down, up/down- try to teach the child that is not how we fly and let the people know you are trying. They are most likely very understanding.

If you are in a scary situation, put your child between you and the situation. One time we were flying and a gentleman was escorted off the flight. My son was in my lap and I was sitting in the isle, I quietly handed my child to my husband as the gentleman passed by. Just in case he did something. Also if you have turbulence sometimes the overhead luggage area can come open and luggage can fall out. Just be prepared.

10. Plan something fun for yourself before and after you fly (especially if you are flying by yourself). It can be very stressful and if you are relaxed, then it will be an easier trip. I usually give myself a day kid free before I travel by myself with them. It makes me more relaxed.

11. Luggage and carseats: If you don't have to bring your carseats, then don't. Each time I have had to and they are bulky and hard to have with you. I recently purchased a car seat to keep with my parents, so now I only bring one carseat instead of two each time. I know it all depends on how long you are going to be gone, but if you can, just pack one suitcase. I have been able to put the kids clothing and mine all in one suitcase and we have been gone for a month before. You really do not need a lot of clothes if you are going somewhere that has a washing machine.

On a recent flight I came back by myself with the kids and no one was there to pick me up. I had a stroller, a suitcase, a carseat, a backpack and the kids (2 and 4). I also flew into Reagan Airport and the parking lot is not just across the street. I wish I had taken a picture. Let's just say, the less you have, the better.

Update:
I recently had a flight with 3 seats, didn't have to take off my shoes, wasn't nursing, didn't have to take anything out of my bag, and the flight was only 2 hours. It went very smoothly. I would fly more often if it went like this.



Driving:

Remember- kids are constrained in a tight small space and you would have a hard time being still and quiet if you had to do that. It is for their safety, but it isn't anything like when we were children (growing up we had one of those trucks with the back on it. My parents would put a mattress in the back and we would basically get to lay around and move around during the whole trip, so it IS different)




1. When to Leave: Plan to drive during their best time, if possible. I know a lot of people that drive at night so that their children can sleep. If you can to that, great! My husband and I could never do that. We have also tried leaving early in the morning. That does well for the kids, but if it is a long road trip, it is hard on the drivers later on. I would suggest leaving in the morning, but not too early or too late (between 6-8:30am). This way you can get a good 3-5 hours before lunch.

2. Breaks: Try to take breaks often, but really try to take at least one where the kids can get out and run around. Recently, I took a very long road trip and each day (usually lunch time) I either found a park or a fast food place with a playground and stayed for about an hour to let them play. The car ride seemed much quieter then.

3. Potty: First, do not try to potty train your child right before you go on a trip. It is best to just wait until you get back. If your child is scared of potties, then bring your own portable one. Try to teach your child/children to let you know BEFORE they have to go so bad they are going to wet their pants. Many times there is no where to pull over.

4. Entertainment: I have brought books, puzzles, stickers, toys, games, TV, and they all work great. I did do one full day of driving (9 hours) of no technology and it actually went pretty well. For those of you who would rather not let children watch TV, it is possible, but make sure you have things for them to do.

5. Driving by yourself: prepack your own snacks and drinks if you are the only adult in the car. It sure stinks when you need something and your kids finally get to sleep and then you want to stop to get a drink.

6. BE SAFE! I have often realized that I was so busy concentrating on kids fighting in the back seat, the wrong movie is in, or they can't reach a certain toy, that I wasn't concentrating on the road. Unless you can't handle hearing what is going on in the back, ignore them until you can safely stop somewhere and then handle them.


I know this is long- I hope that this is some good advice for people traveling with young kids.

No comments: