Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Africa



Tonight, when no one’s watching me,
I’ll lose my house, my food, my clothes,
No more shoes to assault my toes.
I’ll run so fast I’ll turn the globe,
Soon find myself in tribal robe.


Red threads wind-blown and spear in hand
My feet will tear across that land.
My wild hazel eyes so long restrained
Light to life – in African plains.

It’s in that land I need to be,
Tonight, when no one’s watching me.
Instead I’m fed and rest in bed,
And zombie walk – just call me Dead.
Black buzzards claw away my skin,
Ingest my soul, then pen me in.
Now cooped in cage, my raging eyes;
Their life soon settles, then it dies.
But late at night nostalgia’s smell ,
Soothes my soul and plants a trail,

To that place where I’ll be free…
Africa – where no one’s watching me.


Author Unkown

1 comment:

travis and lauren said...

Hey guys, just stumbled across your blog and thought I'd let you know that I am actually the author of this poem (except my original said "blue eyes"). I wrote it a few years ago for a poetry class. You can also see it on my old blog at heartsheldransom.blogspot.com, though there I didn't make it super clear that I am wrote it myself. It's crazy how stuff spreads across the internet. But I'm very excited to see that it meant something to you, and I'm honored you put it on your blog. Thanks. The inspiration for this poem comes from my nostalgic and romanticized rememberance of my childhood growing up in Meru, Kenya. I return to Africa to visit often, and next year I will be returning long-term as I move to SouthEastern Tanzania. For more info, feel free to check out our team blog at makondeteam.com or my new blog (though by "new" I mean I'm just getting it going this very day) at heartsheldransom.wordpress.com. Also, if you wanna add my name to the poem, it's Travis Z. Trull. Thanks! God bless!