
I do not read as often as my husband, but I do read quite a bit. They are usually adventure and mystery books- not nonfiction.
I am not a big fan of reading nonfiction because it doesn't usually keep my interest, but once I picked this book up- the only reason I put it down was because I was getting to involved in the story.
If you are involved in education, have ever lived overseas, or ever climbed a mountain- this book is for you!
Now this book may have inspired me because this man (Greg Mortenson) grew up in Africa like me and reading the struggles he faced reminded me of the days I lived overseas. Also, not that I am comparing Mt. Kenya to K2, but this man attempted K2 (One, if not, the most dangerous and difficult mountain peak to climb) and I climbed Mt. Kenya. I at least know a tiny bit of the pain and struggles it takes to climb a mountain.
This book is about a man that attempts K2 and ends up getting lost. He wanders into a village and sees that they have no place for a school. He promises that he will find the money to help build a school in this village. He is broke and has no place to live and no one to really turn to. This book is about his struggles and accomplishments. He ends up getting around 78 schools built in the Middle East. He also helped bring supplies to the children and assisted in medical situations.
I am not good at promoting things, but take a look at this website (it gives a brief history of Greg Mortenson) and READ THE BOOK!!
No comments:
Post a Comment