Saturday, April 28, 2012

Danica's birth

Birth Story:

I always like hearing people's birth story and I don't want to forget, so I am going to write it here. I think it is cool that both my children were born the exact same time period (well 2 days apart). Hunter was born at 37 1/2 weeks and Danica was born at 37 weeks 2 days. God had a big hand in that both times as well. With Hunter and Danica I just didn't want to be pregnant anymore and as I look back there are blessings both times I delivered early rather than around my due date.

Friday, April 20 David, Hunter, and I wanted to go to Moe's for the free burrito night. As we drove up at 4:45, there was already a line of 40+ people waiting- I told David I was not going to stand in line pregnant with a toddler, so I went grocery shopping, then we decided to go to Pizza Hut.

As I stepped out of the car I felt something pop in my belly. I remember thinking for a split second that it might be my water because I had just read that it makes a pop sound. Within seconds I was leaking fluid. I told David that we need to get back in the car...he said why? I said because my water broke. He asked if I was sure I hadn't just peed on myself- I told him I haven't peed that much since I got pregnant!
We drove home and I called the doctor. Luckily we had a black garbage bag in the back of the vehicle so I sat on that. I called my Doctor around 6. She told me to come in, but take my time. I knew I wasn't going to take my time because I knew my body. Within minutes I was having contractions. Our friend Misty came to get Hunter.

By the time we got to the hospital and got checked I was 4 to5 cm dilated. I told them that I was VERY pro epidural, so they got the paperwork for that. They also decided to give me Pitosin (very small amount). When the anesthesiologist came I was in pretty bad pain. Long story short- the first time he put it in, I only became numb on my right side. An hour later he decided to pull it out and try again. The second time it did the same thing. An hour after that another person came and took it out and tried it a 3rd time. By the 3rd time, it didn't work at all. With Hunter once I got the epidural I never felt anything, so all this pain was new to me and it frightened me.

I will definitely recommend that everyone get an epidural, but I will say I felt better once my baby was out than I did when I had the epidural and I felt that I recovered faster.

When she came out, the doctor said she was a big baby. She was 8pounds 1ounce and 21 inches long. This was one blessing that I had her at 37 weeks instead of 40.

Her cousin's birthday in on April 21st, so Danica decided to make her appearance at 11:59 on April 20th.

Danica was born at the Stafford Hospital and David and I thought and felt a whole world of difference there versus Mary Washington Hospital. We ended up checking out Sunday morning.

Danica was very healthy, but as the days went by her jaundice starting getting really bad. Everyday from Sunday until Thursday, we had to go to the hospital to get her blood drawn. He level go up to a 20. They decided not to admit her into the hospital, but put her on a billi blanket. Hunter used that exact same blanket. We now have had 2 glow worms! :)

Here are a few pictures of her birth and first week home.

Daddy and Danica

Getting her hearing test done.
Hunter checking out little sister (which hasn't been so successful yet-the bonding isn't there yet)

Flowers from the Hubby
Little one

Hi world - watch out!!
Trying to take a 3 generation photo :)

Very Hungry little girl
My favorite picture so far

1 comment:

Christiana said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful. I'm sorry it was rough week having to take her back to the hospital. But glad you guys are well and healthy.