Friday, September 14, 2012

Dairy and Soy Free

I have never been a picky eater, I have never been way over weight, I have never been told I had to watch what I ate....until now!

It is amazing what you go through for your children. As David put it, I have been poisoning Danica for the last 4 months (little does he know how much I hate that phrase because it makes me feel awful). Danica has been borderline colicky since she was born. It gave me a small glimpse of what it would be like to have any sort of a special needs child and wow- I have a new respect for those parents. They need a lot of support from those around them- just remember that!!

When I took Danica to her 4 month appointment I talked to the Doctor about her. Hunter was already 15 pounds by 4months and Danica was only 13 and 1/2. Danica has always been bigger than Hunter. The doctor suggested that I bring in some stool samples to test for blood in the stool (a sign of a food allergy). It came back negative, but that weekend I overdid it with Dairy and by Monday morning Danica was a mess, so I went off Dairy.

It is amazing to think of all the things that dairy is in. Her temperament changed within 2 days, but after 2 weeks of going dairy free, her diapers were still not great, so the doctor told me to go Soy free.

Have you ever looked at what things have soy? Pretty much everything I liked. Now I have always wanted to go back to eating out less and cooking more (I used to cook all the time). I also needed a kick start on my weight loss, but this isn't really the way I wanted to go about doing it.

It is even harder when you try to go on a road trip because you pretty much have to bring your own stuff.

Danica is 90% better, so it is worth it, but I don't believe she has a soy intolerance. I haven't noticed any change in her behavior or in her stools, but I have heard that it take 10-14 days and I am on day 8.

This is all a new challenge for me because the only issue Hunter had with eating, was spitting up. Danica is a happy baby now and her mom is always Hungry now- :)

No comments: