I have never really been challenged spiritually until these last few years. I think part of it is getting older, but things also don't seem so simple anymore. I remember as a kid it was so simple. You should believe in God because he is out there and he made everything. That was it!
Now as I get older, there seem to be so many details. I have grown up Church of Christ my whole life and I was always taught that it shouldn't matter what denomination you are, but are you following the Bible? Are you living a life for Jesus? Those were the important.
I still felt the most comfortable in a Church of Christ. Because of some recent events our family is now attending a different denomination. Honestly it makes me very uncomfortable. I tell you, I have never had to pray, soul search, and research so many "traditions vs truth" in my life. What I mean is that I still feel more comfortable in a Church of Christ (been there 35 years), but I am beginning to wonder are we in different denominations because of a feeling? I know there are some issues that are black/white, but I have found myself thinking... "Have I done it this way because it feels good or because it is right and it is what the Bible says".
Have Churches built so many walls on tradition and current culture and forgotten to look at what the Bible says? Do Churches do things certain ways because they feel it is what the Bible says or it is the way that particular Church has done for years? It is something I am having to think about.
Right now our family needs more opportunities to be involved (bible studies, groups, more outlets with other Christians) and that is why we are now attending a different place. I also wonder if God has given us this opportunity so that we can start thinking about our family's beliefs and what we feel is important. What I mean is even though I am 35 I still pretty much try to believe what my parents feel is right. I am not saying they are wrong, but their faith is not going to get me to Heaven. I have to start finding my own faith.
WE have 2 kids now and they are going to need us for a while. I feel God has put us in this situation so that we can start doing our own research and our own study versus what we are accustomed to. It's hard and VERY uncomfortable, but I feel it is needed!
1 comment:
It is such a worthy experience to find truth in an uncomfortable situation...one that will leave you with the desire to never turn back.
Post a Comment