Thursday, October 25, 2012

I AM one of "Those moms"!

Before I had kids, I would see kids from time to time do things that I disagreed with. I remember thinking- when I have kids, my kids are not going to do that. I remember being bothered by screaming children and wondering why the parents could not quiet them or control them.

My whole life I have felt that God has put me in situations to help understand people a little better, but I was not prepared for this. Most of you know that I am an introvert and I do not like to draw attention to myself.

Let me get this out right now- I love my children very much. I love staying at home with them.

Today I was one of "those moms" that you wonder about. You wonder if she lets her kids do anything or if she is really all there. I just had to pretend I was fine and I know I will laugh one day, but I felt like crying today.

Hunter attends preschool 2 days a week. I had not intended on him doing preschool this early, but it has been a very positive experience for him.

Today they were doing a Fall Festival. David was not able to take the day off today, so I went myself.

I only have 2 kids, what is so hard about that?

The preschool did an awesome job setting this up. They had a petting zoo, hayride, stuff the scarecrow, bean bag toss, bubble machines, find the candy in a haystack, and playing with corn in a bin (kind of like playing in sand). Then they did an art project and decorated cookies. Sounds fun, right? Well this is how the day went....

First- I only got 4 hours of sleep. Usually Hunter wakes up and about 30 minutes to an hour later Danica wakes up. Not today- they both woke up at the same time. Both demanding my attention.

I checked the temperature and it said a high of 75. It has been 80 the last 2 days, so I thought it would be warm. I dressed Hunter in Shorts and a T-shirt, Danica pants and short sleeved shirt with no socks.

Second- it was cold all morning. My daughter has no socks and no hat. Hunter is the only kid with no jacket and wearing shorts (kids with shorts were wearing a jacket). STRIKE 1

Third- I have never met the parents and I was excited to meet the parents of Hunter's classmates. The first thing we did was go to the petting Zoo. Hunter hated it!!! He loves animals, but it was out of his routine and he didn't want to do it. Everyone else is enjoying this cool thing while I am trying to just get my kid to stay with his class. Parents are taking pictures of their children petting the animals, playing with them, brushing them- while I am chasing my child and trying to get him to stay in the area. STRIKE 2


Fourth- Danica only had a 10 minute morning nap.

Fifth- Hayride: Hunter loved this! Danica hated this!

 One of the teachers volunteered to hold Danica- she seemed in a good mood, so I said sure. I handed her off and quickly got on the hayride because they were waiting for me. As soon as we start driving off I hear screaming. I look and Danica is not happy.
The hay ride goes around the parking lot. Half way through the ride, they had to slow down for me to get Danica because she was crying too much. She was so upset that she ended up crying the whole hayride. She does not cry quietly. STRIKE 3 (and we are not even half way done)

Sixth-  We went to stuff scarecrows and Hunter has no desire to do this. One of the teachers told me that Danica was probably hungry (yes I know- but she doesn't nurse in public and what would I do with Hunter- leave him?). I know she was hungry and tired, but I was trying to get Hunter to have fun. He did not want to do what everyone else was doing, so I was chasing him and trying to distract Danica.


The whole morning was just one of those days were I wanted to crawl in a hole and hide. Teachers had to help because I was trying to console one or the other kid.

I don't think I made a great impression on the other parents- didn't have many talking to me, so I guess that is STRIKE 4. Oh wait, I am already out! HA!


What a day! I guess I should expect similar instances when we fly to Colorado in a few months by ourselves. You might want to say a pray for others on the plane.

Fitting prayer for today:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

1 comment:

craig said...

Michelle,

Yes. Those days stink. Tamara (mostly) and I (much fewer) have had those with 1, 2, 3 or 4. It does get easier. And looking back, we laugh at how our kids use to be and they mostly love the reminders and giggle along with us. But it does take time.

Grace and peace.